Many people mistakenly believe that grief is a single emotion. It’s so much more than that. In fact, it’s a powerful, multifaceted and often uncontrollable response that we experience following a personally painful or traumatic event. We often hear about grief in terms of loss of a loved one. But grief comes with other losses, too.
COVID has brought on many different types of loss which many of us experience emotionally, but it also shows up physically, mentally, and even spiritually.
What’s wrong with me?
NOTHING. You are responding to how your life has turned upside down! Grief causes disruption to our daily routines, identity, meaning, purpose, values and trust. It shakes us down to our core. As new things enter our lives – face masks, 6′ personal space, isolation – familiarity and hopes and dreams have been taken away. Many of us feel sadness and anger over the people and things we miss. We feel sadness over the version of ourselves that we miss and fear the version of us we haven’t yet met.
The missing, the longing, the trying to hold on to what’s been comfortable and familiar – those are some signs of grief. You know how else grief shows up?
- Digestive issues
- Impaired motor skills/ability to concentrate
- Energy loss
- Physical pain
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Eating too little or too much
- Body temperature fluctuations
How I can support you.
Grief is not something we can hide from. It’s an important part of processing big changes so we can adjust to a new way of living. And, while we might be living similar experiences, our grief is our own unique path.
For that reason, the grief support I provide is not a one-size-fits-all process. In our work together, we’ll draw from a few different sources to create a grief support plan to help you grieve mindfully and compassionately:
- Somatic movement and mindfulness to help remove obstacles to your self-discovery, acceptance, and release of difficult emotions
- Gentle yoga therapy practices that support you bring old wounds forward and transform them into self-understanding and compassion
- Rituals based on modern day ideas about grief and your personal belief system
Let’s work together to help you find ways to cope and feel better. Schedule your phone consultation or first appointment today.